Sparkle Background

CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Lasagna

In a recent post, I promised my lasagna recipe.  Fair warning - I don't like meat in my lasagna so you won't find it in the recipe but you are more than welcome to add some to your's, just please not when I'm coming to dinner :)  My idea of lasagna is it's purpose is to combine pasta and melted cheese.  The original recipe came from my Mom (I seem to say that a lot in my recipe posts).

Lasagna

24 oz can of Hunt's Garlic and Herb Spaghetti Sauce **
16-24 oz cottage cheese *
1/4 c parmessan cheese
2 c. mozzarella and cheddar cheese ***
9 lasagna noodles

Cook noodles according to package directions.

In 9x13 pan, lightly cover with spaghetti sauce.  In a bowl, combine cottage cheese and parmessan cheese.

Then layer in the following order:
3 lasagna noodles
1/2 of cheese mixture
1/3 of sauce
2/3 cup mozzarella and cheddar cheeses
3 noodles
1/2 of cheese mixture
1/3 of sauce
2/3 cup mozzarella and cheddar cheeses
3 noodles
remaining sauce
sprinkle with mozarella, cheddar and parmessan

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

* 16 oz cottage cheese will work but I like lots so I try to buy the 24 oz container.  I generally make lasagna when I can combine a sale and coupon on the 24 oz container to make it really cheap, or when I find one marked down because it's Sell by date is approaching.  I then just make the lasagna to eat within a day or so or I freeze it for some future date (See note about freezing it below).
** I have been trying to eliminate high fructose corn syrup from our foods BUT this sauce is staying, at least for now.  Over the 15 years I've been making lasagna for my husband, I have tried different sauces.  If I use anything but this one, both of us notice the difference and it's just not as good.
*** Mom's original recipe calls for 2 cups of shredded mozarella.  A long time ago, I started using cheddar also.  I never measure either of them.  I just have a package of each and sprinkle what looks good of each on the mozarella layer.

Freezing Note:  When I freeze this, I tend to make it in two 8x8 or 9x9 square pans instead of one 9x13..  This requires more lasagna noodles - last time I used 12 or so but it really needed 1 or 2 more.  So try 14-15 noodles if you're going to make the smaller version.  My family of 4 is easily well fed with an 8x8 or 9x9 and maybe have a piece or two left over.

No comments: