Sparkle Background

CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, May 3, 2012

How Shall We Know Him?

Wow!  It's been almost a year since I posted to this blog.  It's not that I don't think about it - it just hasn't made it to the top of the To Do list.  Well this morning, during my scripture study, I read something that I felt I had to share.

3 Nephi 20:39  Verily, verily, I say unto you, that my people shall know my name; yea, in that day they shall know that I am he that doth speak.

When I read this I was immediately struck with the question "How shall they know who it is?" and with the answer "They'll recognize my voice."  Do I recognize the voice of someone I don't know?  Can I pick their voice out of a crowd or over other distractions?  No, I can't.  But if my husband is talking in a crowd, I can often pick out his voice and tune in to what he is saying. 

This is how we need to be with Heavenly Father and the Savior, through the Spirit.  If we are in regular communication with Him through prayer, then we will come to recognize His voice.  This means pausing our "talking" during prayer to listen to His response and direction.  It can't be a one way communication, only hearing our own voice.  If we want to recognize his voice, we need to listen for it.  If we seek out and act upon the whisperings of the Spirit, we also come to recognize His voice. 

By practicing now, tuning our hearts to His voice, when "that day" comes, we'll have that experience to KNOW this is the Holy Spirit's voice, that this is the LORD speaking, I need to pay attention and follow Him.

No comments: