Sparkle Background

CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 28, 2012

Lasagna Casserole

When I moved out on my own, my Mom passed along her lasagna recipe that I grew up with - and then I revised it just a little bit (almost doubling the cottage cheese).  And she's revised her version so our lasagnas, although similar, are not the same.  But sometimes when I go to make lasagna, I'm short on time or I'm out of lasagna noodles.  So I've come up with Lasagna Casserole - I switch out the lasagna noodles for either rotini, penne rigata  or bowtie pasta and do the layers just like lasagna.

My family loves it!  And I love that it's simple.

Lasagna Casserole

Printable Recipe

24 oz can/jar of Garlic and Herb Spaghetti Sauce (my preferred flavor)
16-24 oz cottage cheese  (I love to use the 24 oz but I use the size on sale)
1/4 c parmessan cheese
2 c. mozzarella and cheddar cheese  (I go heavy on mozzarella with a bit of cheddar)
1 box Rotini, Penne Rigata, or Bowtie pasta

Cook noodles according to package directions.

In 2 qt casserole dish, lightly cover bottom with spaghetti sauce. In a bowl, combine cottage cheese and parmessan cheese.

Then layer in the following order:
1/3 of noodles
1/2 of cheese mixture
1/3 of sauce
2/3 cup mozzarella and cheddar cheeses
1/3 of noodles
1/2 of cheese mixture
1/3 of sauce
2/3 cup mozzarella and cheddar cheeses
1/3 of noodles

remaining sauce - make sure all visible noodles have sauce on them to prevent them from getting hard
sprinkle with mozarella, cheddar and parmessan

No comments: