Sparkle Background

CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 1, 2010

Monday Meditation - Mark 14:19 - Is it I?

I love the scriptures. And I really enjoy it when a verse that I've read time and time again over the years all of a sudden stands out with a poignant thought. That happened earlier this month while reading about the Last Supper. I put the verse of Mark 14:19 in this post title but it also applies to Matthew 26:29. Context - Christ and his disciples are preparing to celebrate the Passover. As they sit down and start eating, christ tells them that "One of you which eateth with me shall betray me". In verse 19, "And they began to be sorrowful and to say unto him one by one, Is it I? and another said, Is it I?". I assume that everyone reading these Monday Meditations knows that Judas Iscariot was the one who betrayed Christ. But that's not the point of my Meditation. It's not Judas' response, it's the response of all the apostles.

If you were sitting at a table with people you served with closely at church in leadership roles and the Bishop (or Pastor for those who are members of other faiths) said someone here is going to betray their faith today, would you ask is it me? I don't believe so. I think I'd be confident that I'm striving to choose the right and would know it isn't going to be me. So I'm more likely to be thinking "Who is it?" or "I don't believe that. We're all strong in our faith." So as I read this verse this month, that question caught my eye. Were they not as confident in their faith as I try to be? So I did a little research.

Pres. Boyd K. Packer, in 1965, said this:
"I remind you that these men were apostles. They were of apostolic stature. It has always been interesting to me that they did not on that occasion, nudge one another and say 'I'll bet that is old Judas. He has surely been acting queer lately.' It reflects someting of their stature....

"Would you, I plead, overrule the tendency to disregard counsel and assume for just a moment something apostolic in attitude at least, and ask yourself these questions: Do I need to improve myself? Should I take this counsel to heart and act upon it? If there is one wek or failing, unwilling to follow the brethren, Lord, is it I?"

Application - So instead of being weak in their faith, they were strong enough in their faith to question if they were doing something they needed to change. If the apostles questioned themselves with Christ's statement, I definitely need to question myself whenever we hear counsel from our leaders, especially the prophet. I need to ask how I can improve in this principle of the Gospel, not simply disregarding it as something I've got under control or am living pretty well. Every time the prophet and the apostles speak, we need to listen with an open heart and follow the examples of Christ's apostles at the Last Supper "Is it I?"

1 comment:

MO Sisty said...

I enjoyed this, Eden, and in fact, have considered that question from Mark, wondering what I might have found myself asking? Thanks for sharing. I'll be thinking about what I might share that will also be of value.