Sparkle Background

CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Oatmeal Muffins

Growing up my Mom made muffins basically every Sunday.  It was wonderful!  Sometimes they were mixes but often, she would make homemade oatmeal muffins.  So in high school Home Ec class, I started copying down recipes and this is one that I copied down (and still have my original recipe card that I made).  Over the years, I've made some changes that I'll note in the recipe as I go.

Mom's Oatmeal Muffins

1 c quick cooking rolled oats (I actually prefer regular rolled oats over quick)
1 c milk (sometimes I use 1/2 reg milk and 1/2 c from powdered milk)
1 c sifted flour (I never sift and often use 1/4 to 1/2 whole wheat with the rest being white flour)
1/3 c sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 well beaten egg
1/4 c vegetable oil (my family actually prefers the muffins if I replace some or all of the oil with applesauce)

1.  Combine rolled oats and milk.  Let stand 15 minutes.

2.  Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into bowl.  (Note:  Adam knows what a sifter is and uses one - but I pretend not to know)

3.  Combine eggs, oil and oatmeal mixture.  Add all at once to sifted dry ingredients.  Stirring just to moisten.

4.  Fill greased muffin pans 2/3rd full.

5.  Bake at 425 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes (watch that time because these will overcook easily).

Yield:  1 dozen decent sized muffins

When substituting 2 T applesauce for 1/2 of the fat, these are 122 calories per muffin.

No comments: